top of page


Whether you're busting out your second-storey bedroom window and running off to elope or planning your dream wedding with hundreds of guests, there are many legal aspects to any wedding or elopement ceremony. It starts with your Notice of Intended Marriage, which must be lodged at least one month (and no more than 18 months) prior to your wedding or elopement date. As a part of this process, I must sight your official documents to verify your identity and ensure that you are eligible to marry. For example, if you are under the age of 18 or you have been previously married, you must provide additional documentation to prove your eligibility. 

To verify your date and place of birth, you will need:

💜 Your original birth certificate OR

💜 A valid passport.

To verify your identity, you will need to present: 

💜 A valid passport OR

💜 A driver's licence OR

💜 A state-issued photo ID card.

Before your wedding or elopement ceremony, you will also need to complete a Declaration of No Legal Impediment to confirm that you are still both eligible to marry. This can be done just before the ceremony.

Your ceremony must also include:

💜 Celebrant’s Authority, including a brief explanation of the nature of marriage according to law in Australia

💜 Legal vows

💜 Signing of official marriage certificates, immediately after the ceremony.

You and your witnesses are required to sign three separate documents to certify your marriage. One is sent to the state Births, Deaths and Marriages register, one is retained by me and the third is yours to keep. This certificate cannot be replaced, so please make sure you have somewhere to keep it safe once the ceremony is over and the party gets started!


Your Legal Documents

Notice of Intended Marriage

This document must be lodged with your celebrant no more than 18 months and no less than one month before your wedding.

Declaration of No Legal Impediment to Marriage

This document must be completed with your celebrant as close to the ceremony as possible.

Happily Ever Before & After

This government document will be issued to you, in hard-copy or digitally, by your celebrant immediately after lodging your NOIM.


Official Certificate of Marriage

You will sign three marriage certificates immediately after your marriage has been solemnised.

Need some help?

Organising a wedding can be an incredibly stressful (but fun!) time in your lives. As you prepare for your biggest adventure as a couple, it can also be a good time to reflect on your shared values and beliefs and work through any challenges or frustrations in your relationship. There are a number of online and face-to-face relationship support services and courses that can assist you in the lead-up to your big day and beyond.

bottom of page